Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Much Awaited Appraisal




Appraisal, Is one word, which drives all of our attention towards it. It is one word which can double your happiness or makes you disappointed.It is the one word which holds the strings of your pay hike and rating...

Yes, the Much Awaited Appraisal was held last week, not to make me Happy but to make me disappointed...

I had a great expectations for this year Appraisal and so was my performance. I had regularly met most of the metrics month on month. Achieved targets almost every month (except one or two). Minimized on breaks, avoided taking leaves(when not required), worked with dedication and was open to any kind of feedback. The best part was even my Manager patted my back stating, YOU are doing a great Job.... Alas!!! quickly I jumped in joy assuming that this time I'll be getting good rating...

Finally the day came and I was called upon for my Yearly discussions. The discussion went up for more than 45 mins with all twists,turns and surprises finally I was awarded a rating which I was no were in a position to accept it.

I was terribly shocked and awestruck after getting to know the rating I was awarded . After some point of time, realized that there was no point in arguing when the ratings were already decided. People below me in stack ranking have got good ratings and me after slogging for one complete year has been awarded with the rating which I did not even dreamt abt. All my efforts vent in vain.. For the first time in these 3 YEARS, I felt like not working... I was so much passion abt my work, but everything was affected by my Appraisal.

You cannot share this information with your family members and especially when you are married, you just cannot. even though they are very friendly and supportive.

Had been through sleepless nights wondering on what basis I was awarded the rating. The answer I got was  a BIG ?

Discussed with Next Level Manager, escalated to the HR, just to know that Rating once decided, cannot be changed or modified.

Days passed by, could not concentrate on my work, did not felt like speaking with any one...

After couple of days came across this famous article from Chetan Bagat, the Lines read as follows,



After reading these lines, I was so relaxed and enthusiastic, said to myself, "I am paid what I am worth off".Its not just the Hard work, even the Luck matters.. Personally I will not be gaining anything out of disappointment, anger and frustration, except the list of enmity would increase.

Instead, decided to deliver the best keeping in mind that " The Tide Will Always Come Back". So good times ahead.

Hope so your Appraisal will be/was fruitful!!!!


















Cheers,

2 comments:

  1. Hay bro its a good one..!
    well written..!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey dude..sorry to hear that..but equally glad that this episode eventually directed you towards better and brighter way of Life.. am really happy that end of the day your thinking is in the right direction.. keep it that way.. that's how Life is and should be.. Best wishes for the year ahead.. :)

    ReplyDelete